Friday, June 23, 2006

Preloaded Crap

Anyone who's bought a new computer recently knows that it comes preloaded with all manner of crap you do not need or want: ISP software from AOL/Earthlink, MSN/Hotmail solicitations, "support" software that pitches useless extended warranties, anti-virus software that stops updating after six months, buggy DVD players, "trial" or "lite" applications that are crippled and/or expire in 30 days, and on and on.

This was on my mind because I recently bought a new Dell desktop. In general, I'm pleased with it (for one thing, it's phenomenally quiet), but it did come with typical preloaded crap and I've been removing crappy apps one at a time. I could have saved myself the trouble, however, if I'd earlier discovered Jason York's "Dell De-Crapifier":

http://www.yorkspace.com/2006/04/38

Its sole purpose is to remove preloaded crap from Dell machines.

Great idea!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home