Wednesday, August 30, 2006

MS Vista Pricing: pure and total crap

I'm not the only one who observes the craposity of software.

Robert McLaws, a .NET Developer, recently commented on Microsoft's licensing policies for the upcoming release of Vista, the new Windows operating system. He called them "pure and total crap".

He's complaining -- and rightly so -- about the lack of discounts for persons buying multiple license for Vista. As he puts it:
You know what? I think the regular and upgrade prices are totally reasonable. The upgrade price on Home Premium was even $100 cheaper than what I expected. But obviously Microsoft didn't listen to a damn word I said when I talked about the discount for additional licenses. This is pure and total crap. Microsoft has completely screwed the pooch on an outstanding opportunity to get everyone to upgrade to Vista legally and inexpensively.

I know one family that wants to move to Vista… they have 4 computers. There's NO WAY IN HELL they're going to pay $588 for an upgrade copy of Home Premium plus 3 additional licenses. It's just not going to happen.

I'm not even going to mince words here. Microsoft, you REALLY boned this one up. I'm really glad that 40 influencers in one room telling you about how important the additional license problem was meant absolutely nothing.
His article can be read over here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home